Six Summer Essentials to Look Cool (and Stay Cool)
Friday, April 28, 2017
By George Wilder
Dressing well in the Alabama heat can be so intimidating it seems impossible. How can you dress well when first and foremost you have to dress to stay comfortable? How can you build multiple outfits if the only items you feel you can wear to stay cool are shirts, shorts and shoes?
The secret, as with most of men’s style, is in the details. The following six summer essentials are high on style and can be mixed and matched in endless combinations ensuring you’ll look good all summer. Trust us on this one.
1. Shorts – for the lake, beach, pool party, or any summer situation, you need a great pair of shorts (or two, or three). We’ve got a fantastic selection of the new performance fabrics from Peter Millar that are super comfortable and will keep you cool all summer. Faherty makes some of the most comfortable shorts you’ll ever own, made with ultra-soft stretch chino in super summer colors. And of course, Vineyard Vines shorts are a summer staple, and they’ve added a bit of stretch for comfort to their fabrics. Wear these shorts with a great sport shirt whether you’re going to dinner at the beach or lake, or just throw them on with your favorite t-shirt to walk the dog.
2. Sport shirts – Crisp, soft and lightweight, our incredible selection of sport shirts will take you from the beach to the boardroom in style. Great colors and patterns from Peter Millar and Scott Barber will pull your summer look together no matter where you are going. Cultuatta is a beautiful Italian shirt made from soft-touch cotton you just have to feel to believe! Eton of Sweden offers incredible performance shirts in a variety of fabrics that you can wear over a pair of swim trunks or under a sport coat. And Faherty poplin shirts are lightweight and work well over shorts or a great pair of jeans.
3. Belts – Much like shoes, ties and cufflinks, there’s something to be said about having an assortment of belts to complete any look this summer. Whether you’re dressing up for a wedding or dressing down for a day of sightseeing on vacation, the right belt shows that you are paying attention to detail. We have a great selection of leather and woven belts from our friend Martin Dingman. William Kleinberg is a Montgomery native and great friend who makes custom belts for us that are very special. Can't wait for you to try one on and see the difference.
4. Soft sport coats – New summer sport coats are softer and lighter, made with great performance fabrics. Come in and try one on to see what we’re talking about. Perfect for travel, these sport coats will get you from point A to point B without a wrinkle in your wardrobe. Canali offers versatile and sophisticated blazers in a soft silhouette for a relaxed and refined look. Samuelsohn has a beautiful selection of lightweight sport coats in Italian fabrics of wool, silk and linen. And you can always count on awesome sport coats from Peter Millar for impeccable craftsmanship and style. These are investments that you won’t regret making and flexible pieces that you will wear for many summers to come.
5. Five-pocket pants and jeans – A great jean from Citizens of Humanity is sure to be your favorite, with an incredible fit that is comfortable and relaxed, yet very sophisticated. DL 1961 lends an elevated feel to jeans in great colors and fit. The German company, Gardeur, delivers great-fitting, premium five-pocket pants designed for the utmost comfort with a refined look. And of course, Peter Millar has the perfect pants for the golf course or a weekend getaway.
6. Shoes – You don’t have to splurge for the best shoes this summer. We have a great selection of summer slip-ons, loafers and lace-ups from Trask, with timeless style that’s beyond trends. Martin Dingman shoes will take you from casual Friday through the weekend with a super selection of styles that will keep you comfortable and looking cool this summer. And remember, no socks please!
Want some help finding your summer wardrobe essentials? Come to The Locker Room in Montgomery or Auburn for a special summer wardrobe that matches your life, budget, build, and style – personally handpicked by guys who know what looks good.